If you will remember back, I am on the quest for the perfect veggie burger (or a few perfect veggie burgers of various descriptions).
My veggie burger requirements include some of the following:
1. Must hold up well to various cooking methods (including bbq)
2. Can NOT be mushy.
3. Can not be made purely of cooked beans (See rule 2).
4. Must have some textural elements.
5. Must have flavour of its own.
This veggie burger is made with a base of oats of various types (porride and jumbo). But, I think next time I would substitute the jumbo oats for an equal measure of cooked brown rice for even more texture. Having said that, they were delicious. The fresh herbs the spices in the burger really elevated the taste. They held together really well and are even able to be grilled fairly easily.
I’m not sure it’s the perfect burger as it stands, but it is definitely worth giving it a try at your next cookout. Serve with potato salads!
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2.5 tbsp ground flax
- ½ cup warm water, mixed in bowl
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 1½ cups jumbo oats (or cooked basmati rice)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, mashed lightly
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds, chopped
- ⅓ cup toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350F).
- In a large frying pan, sauté onions and garlic powder in oil until onions are translucent.
- Add in spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Mix flax and water in a small bowl and set aside for at least 10 mins while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir very well.
- Now, add seasonings and salt to taste.
- With slightly wet hands, shape dough into patties. Pack dough tightly as this will help it stick together.
- Place patties on parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake the burgers for about 15 minutes in oven.
- Once they are baked, you can finish them off with your preferred method of cooking (bbq or skillet).
- Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/#ixzz35Sd8iwVS