There was a time (embarrassingly recently) that I didn’t know that Parmesan cheese came in any form other than a green plastic container that you could shake on things. Salty, nutty and fairly non-descript, this powdered food-stuff bears little to no resemblance to real parmesan cheese, but it is amazing on so many foods. It just provides a little boost. I was very sad when I found out that it wasn’t vegetarian, let alone vegan.
Recently, I started seeing these recipes around the internet for vegan parmesan cheese made with raw cashews nuts. I tried making it but found that it lacked some of the depth of the powdered parmesan cheese of my youth.
After playing around with the ingredients, it turns out that the fix was the easiest solution (and the last one that I tried, of course).
Roast the cashews first!
And so, while I won’t tell you that this is exactly like the cheese that you are used to, it is definitely delicious on all sorts of things and will more than fill the green-canister shaped hole in your life.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ TBSP sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Arrange cashews in a single layer on a pan.
- Roast cashews in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through until golden brown. Watch as they can burn quickly.
- Once cashews are done, remove from oven and allow to rest until cool.
- Add cooled cashews, salt and nutritional yeast in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend until a fine powder.
- Sprinkle on things!