Last summer, we spent a day at a “Pick Your Own” farm. Ben had never been to one before and, I’ll be honest, went a little overboard. Every time I turned around he was in a different vegetable patch madly pulling at the ground. I found him in the cornfields with arms full of ears of corn or wielding a knife cutting cauliflowers like this was the last crop to ever grow. But when we got to the berries it was my turn to go crazy. I felt like I was on an episode of Supermarket Sweep! Running up and down the aisles, grabbing ripe berries before the timer went off, pushing small children out the way. I was in the zone. Ben of course was gathering berries too, but when I came back he had about 15 berries in his bucket and red juice on his face.
I gathered buckets and buckets of raspberries.
We made jam, desserts and froze a bunch of them. So many so that we are STILL eating them now. Or we were.
This is the last of them.
Just in time to get to my war rooms and figure out my berry gathering strategy for this year.
This recipe is an adaptation from Kris Holechek’s Have Your Cake and Vegan Too.
This book is so highly recommended. If you like to bake vegan desserts, you need to check out this book. I have tried a few recipes from here now and they have always turned out great! This one is a personal favourite. It’s not too sweet, it’s tasty enough for snack, dessert or a quick breakfast on the go.
- 1 pound (454 g) of frozen raspberries, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (100 g) all purpose (plain) flour
- ½ cup ( 45 g) wholewheat flour
- ½ cup (50 g) quick rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ¼ cup (62.5 ml) melted vegan butter, or coconut oil
- ⅔ cup (157 ml) soy milk or non dairy milk of your choice
- ¼ tsp white vinegar
- ⅔ cup (133 g) white sugar
- ¼ cup (55 g) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
- Grease and line a loaf pan.
- Mix together flours, oats, baking powder, soda, salt and spices in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, add melted butter, non dairy milk and vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to curdle.
- Mix in sugars and vanilla extract.
- Toss frozen raspberries in frozen mixture to coat them in flour.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix until just combined, no longer.
- Pour in to loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and serve!