Although I have been in 35C+ weather for the past 4 months, I’m longing for the spring weather that is emerging in both of my homes- Canada and England.
I miss feeling the hint of warmth on the wind, seeing the trees budding, the grass springing up and the cherry blossoms- oh the cherry blossoms!
It’s enough to make me swoon.
With Easter happening tomorrow (I’m still not sure how the Easter bunny will find me in South East Asia to deliver my chocolate), I’m seeing the internet filled with delicious spring like recipes, recipes to renew and refresh.
It’s time to throw off the old potatoes and pasta of winter and dive in to something light, fresh and colourful.
But don’t forget the chocolate.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (or ½ of a 15oz can)
- 1 small cucumber, cut in cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, or 2 vine tomatoes cut in cubes
- Few sprigs of basil, torn roughly
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Add chickpeas, basil, tomatoes, cucumber.
- In a small bowl mix vinegar, lemon zest and olive oil. Mix well.
- Pour dressing over salad.
- Adjust salt and pepper levels.
Ben’s Verdict (aka A MeatEater Responds):
Chickpeas?! In a salad?! Chickpeas belong in curries and hoummous! What madness is this?!
But you know what, once I started picking at the chickpeas I couldn’t stop. I ate them mindlessly, like I do crisps and nuts. One by one, they went into my mouth until they were all gone almost without me noticing. How did that happen I asked myself!
The salad now looked like a salad that I recognised. And I ate every mouthful of that too!